Tuesday, March 26, 2013

For Lovers, Gay and Straight Alike

       I'm not going to go on a spiel about gay marriage because, to me, it's pretty cut and dry.  I'm all for it.  Love is love-- you're blessed if you find it.  It's what keeps us going, and it should be celebrated.

Here is a poem I wrote for lovers, gay and straight alike:


Promise


Let’s promise,
That when we’re old,
And our skin has turned to bark, yet we no longer bend like branches under snow,
That we will remember our limbs
Entwined in twisted sheets, my face pressed against the pulse in your neck.
That when our mouths have turned to caves,
Housing sharp tongues in sleeves of sandpaper,
We will remember the taste of each other—when our lips held pulp like fruit,
When our sweat was sweet like nectar.
Let’s promise, my love,
When our youth lies only inside old footprints, blown over
By the very dirt that will one day lie heavy upon our bones,
That we will love, just as we do now,
Each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment