Friday, April 5, 2013

Because I'm Awesome


Every once in a while, I wake up and my morning feels like a Folger's commercial.  There's a smile on my face, the sun is shining, my back doesn't hurt that much, and I really feel like I am ready to conquer the day.  I tell myself that I'm going to be a good person today, I'm going to clean my house, take my kids to the food store where they will stay in the same isle as me, on their feet, rather than on their backs kicking and screaming and going coo coo for coco puffs.  I'm going to make a big healthy salad when I get home, I'm going to eat it, and I'm going to LIKE it! It's going to be a good day--I can feel it.

And then...I walk out of my bedroom, slip on a banana peel, catch a violent stomach flu on the way down, land on a pile of Leggos, and crawl back into bed where I swim back down into the dark abyss in my ocean of self loathing.  A bit dramatic, I know, but you get the gist.  Life has a funny way of knocking you down as you're getting back up.  

Well, today was one of those days.  But instead of drowning in my dark abyss, I felt it was more of a bottomless well; where if someone wished upon a coin and cheerily tossed it in, it would fall with such velocity that it would crack my skull and slip through my brain, killing me on impact. 

And then I received a gift.  A text message from a friend.  I miss you so much it hurts.  And then another.  I know we don't see each other very often, but I love you daily.  These gifts are our ladders--to climb yourself up and out of whatever dark place you find yourself in.  And when you reach the top and squint into the sun, you can tell yourself, "somebody misses me, somebody loves me. And it's because I'm awesome." 

No comments:

Post a Comment