Friday, April 5, 2013

Face Your Fears, or Whatever


           Every once in a while, I try to face some of my fears.  For instance, I’m afraid of bees.  So I will sit Indian style in the grass and try to become one with nature.  If a bee comes near me and starts buzzing dangerously close to my ear canal, I will try to sit perfectly still.  This is extremely difficult for me because normally, if I even spot a bee in the distance, I start screaming at the top of my lungs and running around in circles like I’m on fire.  And sometimes I cry.  I am also afraid of heights.  So I will practice becoming comfortable with heights by standing on a curb and looking down.  When my dizziness gets to be too much, I walk away and tell myself I’ll try again tomorrow.  But one of my top ten fears of all time is going to the dentist.  I would rather be tossed out of an airplane than sit in a dentist’s chair.
            People sometimes say to me, “You have such nice teeth!” and I say, “Thank you! I do absolutely nothing to maintain them!  Sometimes I even fall asleep with candy bars in my mouth!”  Well, they may look okay but lately they’ve been poking their roots into my business, entering my dreams and whispering, “Floss me!  Take me to the dentist!  Don’t you care about us?”  If ever I find myself jogging (which is very rare) I can feel the teeth on the top rattling and threatening to come loose.  If I floss, they will fall out for sure.  I chew everything with my front teeth, like a rabbit—except chocolate; chocolate I just let melt on my tongue because chewing it is not an option.  Well, the jig is up.  I can no longer live in tooth denial. 
A few weeks ago, I was eating a piece of cheese and my tooth fell out.  I gasped and my seven yr. old daughter asked me what was wrong.  I showed her my tooth and she said, “Well at least it will grow back!  And the tooth fairy will come!”  I didn’t have the heart to tell her that neither of these things would happen.  So I just looked at her and smiled—a big toothless smile.  It was time to face my fear and call the dentist.
At my appointment, I was so embarrassed that I started rattling off so many excuses as to why my teeth were so jacked up.  Well, my tooth genetics are very bad. I mean, neither of my parents even have teeth.  This half of a tooth I’m pretty sure is just a baby tooth that never fell out.  Oh and I was pregnant twice and my babies totally drained all of my calcium from me.   None of my excuses included the fact that I hadn’t been to a dentist since I was fourteen. 
It didn’t help that the dentist I randomly choose based on nothing scared the crap out of me.  He was a big Russian man who had zero tolerance for sissies like me.  He said, “Vhat?  You scared?  Don vorry, I von’t feel a thing!  Muahahahahaha!”  And then, as he was coming towards my face with the needle, he did the strangest thing.  He started making robot noises like, Beep-Bop-Boop-Bop-Beep.  A Russian robot was about to stick a needle in my face.  He knew I was scared so he was treating me like a baby.  I am not a baby! I shouted inside my head.  I wish I were a baby because then it would be acceptable to poop my pants right now!  But then I calmed down…kind of.
I told myself that I could do this, that I could be strong, like bear-- like Russian bear.  And I thought my throat was closing and that I was having a heart attack but the dentist told me, “Don be ridiculous.” So I prayed for death. It sucked.  Every single second of it was the worst ever.  But I did it anyway because I don’t want to look like a pirate. 
But the moral of this story is, facing your fears doesn’t always make them go away.  Bees sting, heights are scary, and going to the dentist sucks.  I have to go back to the dentist for a root canal, and I’m still afraid.  Next time I think I will beg them to knock me out because it is a fear I don’t feel like facing without drugs.  The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment